Saturday 8 September 2012

My Kitchen Bucket List

I'm having a "stay-at-home" weekend right now and for anyone who knows me, knows that this will equate to kitchen time. I love my kitchen, I'm by no means a whizz in it, but I like trying out new recipes. Having lived in Singapore for the 2 years before moving here I was exposed to some amazing food and well quite frankly, I miss it! So, I scour the internet looking for something that sounds vaguely like something I once ate, or somedays I type a few ingredients into google and see what comes out, oh and my other trick, flicking through my bookmarked recipes and seeing what interesting stuff is linked off those. 


The result: A fairly varied list of recipes that "one day" I am going to try my hand at. The list is not final, I'll come back to it as time goes by add more things that I find, or you can set me a challenge. Some of the items on this list already have been set to me as a challenge by my friends/family and I like a challenge so feel free to suggest something and I'll give it a go.



Meals


  • Roast Turkey (I’ve never cooked a turkey before, those memories of my mother getting up at the crack of dawn on Christmas morning and the tension in the kitchen that day has always scared me and made me think I wouldn’t succeed)
  • Yorkshire Pudding (My Mum is from Yorkshire and I feel like I should be genetically programmed to be able to cook these)
  • Baked Beans (I don’t actually like these but Rory does so I feel I owe it to him to give it a go)
  • Steamed Pork Buns (I loved these when I was in Singapore, they’re not easy to make though, so they’ve been saved in my bookmark folder for a while now)
  • Egg Rolls (I have made these using rice paper as I can’t get the proper casing here, but if I can make dumpling dough surely I can make this too…)
  • Massaman Beef (Rory likes my attempt at cooking Indian so he figures I shouldn’t go too far wrong with this)
  • Eggs Benedict (Rory loves these too)
  • Thai Green Curry (My favourite...)
  • Vegetarian Lasagne (The pressure is on with this one, Rory has high standards when it comes to Vegetarian lasagnes...)
  • Mexican Lasagne (see above)
  • Spinnach and Ricotta Pastries (Yummmmm)
  • Tandoori Salmon (Two of my favourite things in one dish, how can you go wrong?)

Breads


  • Sourdough (I have a breadmaker now but I feel like this is the kind of thing I need to make by hand…)
  • Braided Fruit Loaf (I adore bread and it’s hard to come across good bread in Bogotá without paying a fortune so I am determined to succeed at my own varieties)
  • Spinach and Ricotta Pull Apart Loaf (A favourite from home that no one here makes…)
  • Tattie Scones (A request from Rory, not necessarily hard to make just not something we bother to do)
  • English Muffins (You can't have Eggs Benedict without them...)
  • Crumpets (I love these more than words)
  • Peshwari Naan (If I succeed at this Rory might never ask me to make anything else ever again)

Desserts


  • Irish Car Bomb Cup Cakes (I found this recipe this morning and it was from that site that I then built my bucket list idea)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie (Kathryn and I were discussing this at work the other day and she told me I should give it a try, so here it is on the list… It’ll be one that has to wait until we have yellow lemons in the supermarket again)
  • Rich Chocolate Truffle Pie (I love chocolate ‘nuff said?)
  • Chocolate Meringue Pie (see note above)
  • White Chocolate, Cherry and Almond Brownies (I think I found this while searching for nice Christmas cooking ideas so we’ll give it a go) 
  • Rhubarb Pie (I'm concerned about this one as I don't know I've seen Rhubarb here, but hey)
  • Swiss Rolls (I'm petrified of this, every time I think of it I see cake crumbs all over my bench)
  • Key Lime Pie (Rory has never eaten it but when I asked him if he had any requests this is what he came up with, best part of that is that even if I mess it up, he won't know)

Fun Stuff


  • White Chocolate Peppermint Bark (What did I say about loving chocolate earlier… add mint and I am in heaven!)
  • Rudolf Tartlets (Chocolate…)
  • Cream Cheese Penguins (These are too cute, how can you not want to make them…)




4 comments:

  1. I can help you conquer the turkey fear and we'll give you all the credit for it. Thanksgiving, my apartment, I'll provide the turkey and the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're honestly willing to put Thanksgiving into my hands, a novice Turkey cooker? Have you gone mad?

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of a kitchen bucket list and must start thinking about mine. Mine is usually what I want to eat at the time but I recently cracked the baked chook. I know. I know. A no-brainer right? But, because of the size of chook our family needs and always a dodgy oven - why have we always had the world's worst ovens - they've never been good. I have finally done it and there was a bloody great Chicken Normandy on the table a couple of weeks ago.

    PS: Melissa's baby shower was so lovely. Sunny day. Lots of bubs about and Melissa looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, my cooking is usually like that, but over the years as I've been looking for stuff I have found other recipes that I've thought were a good idea, but I've never got around too, plus there's some things (like Turkey, or even chicken for that matter, I've never gone their either!) that I just feel I need to do at some point. My oven here is awful, just turns itself off at random, but I shall conquer it all, and add things to the list as the desire takes me...

      Delete